I decided to pop open one of the ESBs I bottled this past Monday to see how it was going. I had one bottle I was concerned about. I’ve had problems with Warsteiner bottles in the past; there’s just not enough of a lip on the head of the bottle to secure a cap with, at least not with the standard capper I use.
I got a nice hiss of carbonation release when I popped the cap, which was a good sign. The conditioning is well on its way, though this beer is still quite young. There’s still a good deal of sweetness from the corn sugar added at bottling time. A couple more weeks should be all this one needs before it’s truly ready. Of course that means another sample in the coming weekend, and more sampling after that as needed.
As of right now, the pour was fairly flat, yeilding little head at all. Of course, I also poured it very gently so as to not disturb too much of the yeast and proteins that had fallen from suspension and not caked to the bottom as of yet. There’s a gentle carbonation to it, which shouldn’t increase too much, which is perfect for this style.
There’s still too much corn sugar presence to get a good read on the nose and taste, but as of now I can detect some mild breadiness in the nose and some nice bittering going on in the flavor, along with more of that breadiness in the taste.
The color is a nice light brown with an orange hue to it. It’s fairly clear; a very mild haze to it but nothing cloudy. A couple more weeks of conditioning and a cold break should leave this beer crystal clear.
I’m very happy with how this one turned out. Hit the link above to go back to the bottling notes, and a link from there back to the brew notes for the recipe if you’re interested in trying it out yourself. If you do try it, please let me know how yours comes out!